Sunday, July 24, 2011

Stress.

So...I haven't been able to post as often as I'd like. It's mostly because I haven't had time to involve myself in fantastical food and it has caused me much strife. Even after only doing this little food exercise for a few weeks I notice how stressed I get when I'm not thinking critically about what goes into my mouth. I'll try to do better.

The most common source of stress for me is other people. Specifically, other people's opinions about how I deal with my children. Typically I don't care what other people think (yeah, I know that's a totally cliche' statement, but it's true). I eat crazy food, I wear crazy clothes, sometimes I even smell crazy. But none of those things cause me to stress about what other people think. But for some reason, if it has to do with my kids, it drives me absolutely bananas. I get so caught up in doing what I'm "supposed to do" to have healthy kids I end up not really paying attention to them and their actual health. It's a wee bit counterproductive.

So I was at the grocery store recently, getting stressed out about the variety of baby food purees that are out there and making sure I've offered all of them to my baby (we call him Mr. Pants) in some certain order and in some certain time frame so that no allergies develop and that he gets appropriately exposed to everything that he needs to be exposed to at a young age, and I still can't find that papaya puree I guess I'll have to make some at home, should I be buying the organic Chicken & Apples stage 3 food, are we even on stage 3, what the he!! do these d@mn stages mean anyway!??!! AAAAaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Whew.

When something like this happens, I always end up asking myself the same question. "What did people do before this?" When the dishwasher stops working: "What did people do before dishwashers?" When my phone dies: "What did people do before text messaging?" When I freak out in the baby food aisle: "What did people do before Gerber?" They ate food, real food! That's what people did before all these weird little (overpriced) individual serving sized jars of food mush and powdered grains! They ate food. So I decided that my baby can just eat whatever the rest of the family eats. Hooray for no more little jars in my house!

It's been working out so far. Mr. Pants has eaten all kind of good stuff. Here he is eating some broccoli!

1 comment: