Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan


I hadn't planned on posting this recipe as a blog so there aren't pictures of every step. I'll try to break it down as much as possible. Also, this is obviously not exactly like what you'd get if you ordered it at a restaurant. I baked my eggplant to get rid of the excess oil and I didn't use any ricotta to lower the fat. Even with these omissions it was super tasty with one serving being just under 300 calories!!


Ingredients
  • 3 Eggplants
  • 1 C Whole Wheat flour
  • 1/2 - 3/4 C Fresh Grated Parmesan
  • Italian Herb blend, to taste
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
  • 1 Egg
  • tsp Water
  • Fresh Mozzarella, cut into rounds
  • Fontina, shredded
  • Fresh Basil
  • Garlic, minced
  • Tomato sauce
Preheat oven to 375F


Step 1 - Food Prep

Cut eggplants across the width so that you get a bunch of disks. I used Rosa Bianca Eggplants that I got from the Saturday Market on the square in Murfreesboro.



Mix together the flour, parmesan, herb blend, and salt and pepper in a bowl. In another bowl, beat together the egg and water. In another bowl chop up the basil and mix it with the garlic, set this aside until later.

Step 2 - Eggplant Prep

Dip each slice of Eggplant in the egg then coat with the flour/parmesan mixture. Place each coated slice on a foil lined pan that's been sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for 30 minutes flipping half way. They'll brown really nicely on the side touching the aluminum.

Step 3 - Assembly

Coat the bottom of a baking dish with tomato sauce. Once the eggplant is out of the oven and cool enough for you to handle start layering the eggplant, cheeses, basil, and tomato sauce. I did eggplant slice, fontina, basil, tomato sauce, mozzarella, repeat. Do that until you run out of stuff. I had just enough to make 6, 2 layer servings, or 12 total eggplant slices (well, 13 really, but I ate one when they came out of the oven).

Step 4 - Cook

Bake for 30 minutes.



I sprinkled a little extra fontina on the top just for good measure. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment