Saturday, August 27, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan, Redeux

I redid the Eggplant Parmesan so that I could break it down step by step for you. I hope this makes it easier.

Ingredients
  • 3 Eggplants
  • 1 C Whole Wheat flour
  • 1/2 - 3/4 C Fresh Grated Parmesan
  • Italian Herb blend, to taste
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
  • 1 Egg
  • tsp Water
  • Fresh Mozzarella
  • Fontina
  • Fresh Basil
  • Garlic, minced
  • Tomato sauce
Preheat oven to 375F

Step 1 - Eggplant Prep

Cut eggplants across the width so that you get a bunch of disks. I used the standard purple eggplant this time, I got them from the Saturday Farmer's Market on the square in Murfreesboro.

Mix together the flour, Parmesan, herb blend, salt and pepper in a bowl.



I used this Parmesan.



In another bowl, beat together the egg and water.




Step 2 - Batter Eggplant

Dip each slice of Eggplant in the egg then coat with the flour/Parmesan mixture. Place each coated slice on a foil lined pan that's been sprayed with nonstick spray.




Bake for 30 minutes flipping half way. They'll brown really nicely on the side touching the aluminum.



Step 3 - Assembly Prep

Coarsely chop your basil.



Mix it with the minced garlic.



Cut the mozzarella into rounds and open your Fontina. I shredded mine directly into the pan. I used these kinds of cheese.



Spray a 13x9 pan with nonstick spray and coat the bottom with tomato sauce.



Step 3 - Assembly

Once the eggplant is out of the oven and cool enough for you to handle start layering the eggplant, cheeses, basil, and tomato sauce. I did eggplant slice,



mozzarella,



fontina,



basil,



tomato sauce,



repeat.



I had just enough to make 8, 2 layer servings, or 16 total eggplant slices.


Step 4 - Cook

Bake for 30 minutes.




Serve with a caesar salad and herbed toast.



Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment