Saturday, June 18, 2011

My trip to the International Market

I took a detour to the International market on my grocery run last week. It's one of the more "American" International food stores, but I still like it. The guy that runs it is really nice too.

I went in looking for glass noodles and maybe some daikon radishes. I asked the guy if I had the right noodles and he explained the different types to me and the different ways that they are prepared for sale. There were some that were dried and some that were cooked and frozen. I went with the dried kind.

He asked my why I was buying the noodles and why I didn't just order the Pad Thai from them. He said that I should order it from them and make my own so that I could compare the two to see which one was better. I assured him that their Pad Thai would be way better than mine but agreed to order some. He asked me how spicy I wanted it. I said spicy. He clarified it to make sure I knew what I was talking about and then decided that I meant medium, so that's what he told the cook. We talked for a little bit about learning how to cook things at home and the kinds of food that I like to eat. He said to me "You not American! I go tell her make make it spicy!" And he ran off to the kitchen to tell the cook that I actually did want my food spicy.

I shopped around a bit more. I decided on another chili paste and almost bought homemade kimchi. When my food was ready he carried it to the register and assured me it was spicy. They usually have little breads and spring roll things at the counter, I grabbed a spring roll thing too. He rang me up and told me to come back soon.



This was the spiciest Pad Thai I have ever had!! It was amazing.


The Spring rolls were stuffed with pork, rice vermicelli, basil, mint and lettuce and were wrapped in a rice paper. I'm not sure what the dipping sauce is, but it's sweet.

The Pad Thai/Spring roll combination was a bit off, but separately they were both really good.

I will definitely be ordering the Pad Thai again.

No comments:

Post a Comment